Moving to Texas Guide from The Great Curtain Company
Modern Valances & More in Austin, TX
Moving is always an exciting and stressful time. If you find yourself moving to Austin, TX, The Great Curtain Company welcomes you. We hope you find your dream home, and we’re here to help with everything from modern valances to window shades and everything in between. Austin is a unique city to live in, so we want to help make sure you get here okay and know what to expect. We know you’ll be spending a lot of time exploring the city, but we also want you to be comfortable at home with our living room valances, dining room draperies, and more. Just about everyone loves living in Austin, and we want to make your moving experience better. Check out our packing tips for moving out of state, especially when it comes to curtains and drapes. We’ll also let you know how to repurpose your curtains and drapes in your new home, as well as some of the top restaurants and attractions in the area. Feel free to contact us with any questions.
Packing Tips for Moving from out of State to Texas
If you’re moving to the Lone Star State, you likely have a lot to do. The best way to move is to be prepared. If you’re moving out of state, you can opt to hire a moving company or do it yourself. Either way, you’ll need to make a plan of attack. The following packing tips can help:
- Purchase Your Moving Supplies Before You Start Packing – Don’t forget to buy multiple-sized boxes, sturdy packing tape, markers, and packing materials such as bubble wrap, newspaper, or packing peanuts. Cardboard boxes with handles are much easier to lift. You can try to find free boxes online or at local businesses. You can also ask people you know or check apartment buildings or dorms during moving season. Avoid using any boxes that are torn, damp, or weak.
- Label Boxes by Room While Packing – Labeling your boxes may seem like extra work, but this quick step can make things much easier once you arrive at your new home. Write down the inventory of the contents of each box on a separate piece of paper. Make a copy and tape it to the box. Keep your other copy in a folder to make things very easy.
How to Pack Your Curtains & Drapes
If you have beautiful curtains and drapes, you’ll want to bring them with you. If not, you may want to recycle them and opt for new ones from The Great Curtain Company once you arrive. Take your curtains and drapes to a cleaner, and they can wrap them in plastic and paper after they clean them. If you can’t afford that service, keep your curtains and drapes wrinkle-free by folding them lengthwise, putting them over a padded hanger, and pinning them securely. Transport them in a wardrobe box. Curtains can also be folded and put into plastic bags before being packed in a box lined with clean paper.
How to Repurpose Your Curtains & Drapes
Moving to a new state and into a new home means a new beginning. If you’re ready for beautiful new curtains and drapes, give The Great Curtain Company a Call. We offer several types of draperies and drapery fabrics. You can reuse your curtains and drapes in your new home, and they can also be repurposed to make:
- Bed Canopies
- Fancy Shower Curtains
- Room Dividers
- Closet Coverups
- Throw Pillows
Things to Know Before Moving to Austin
We’re excited to welcome you to Austin, but there are some tips you should be aware of, including the following:
- There’s No Perfect Austin Neighborhood – Just about every neighborhood in Austin is excellent. You just need to determine your price range, how much traffic you’re willing to put up with, and how close to downtown you want to be.
- Austin Is Not Just for Creative Types – There are plenty of artsy people in Austin, but the community welcomes all kinds. The vibe in Austin is very relaxed and friendly.
- Real Estate Can Be Affordable – Austin has become very popular, so home and rental prices can be high. There are some affordable prices, though, if you look hard enough. You get what you pay for, so as long as you stay within your budget, you’ll love living here.
- The Heat isn’t so Bad – It does get pretty hot in Austin, but there’s plenty of water and air conditioning to keep you cool. You’ll love the winters here as well.
Austin Restaurants & Attractions to Visit
Austin has so many great restaurants that you likely won’t know where to start. There are also plenty of local attractions to keep you busy. Here are the top five restaurants in Austin in 2021 as ranked by Female Foodie and the top five Austin attractions as ranked by PlanetWare:
- Emmer and Rye
- Fonda San Miguel
- Franklin Barbecue
- Veracruz All Natural
- The State Capitol & Visitor’s Center
- Zilker Metropolitan Park attractions
- Lady Bird Lake
- Congress Avenue Bridge (to view the bats)
- University of Texas at Austin attractions
Contact Us for High-Quality Drapery Styles & Designs
The Great Curtain Company is the team to choose for drapery design, kitchen drapery ideas, luxury drapery fabrics, and more. Contact our team today to book a virtual house call or in-person appointment once you arrive in Austin, TX.
See something you like? Have a question on drapery pleats or styling options?
Let our design team assist you in choosing the perfect fit for your home.